As I sit here at my desk and gaze out of my MD's window (the one that is in front of my cube, the view that is not really mine to see), I wonder: Is this worth it? I haven't had lunch and was here until 12:30 last night only to wake up and rush back to work. I also just gave my MD an assignment that he gave me yesterday that was supposedly due this evening. He asked for it at 9am this morning, forgetting the fact (or just not caring) that the deadline was set for 6pm today, luckily I had the "beat the deadline" mentality. I have been stressed out (for no reason, in the grand scheme of things) and I'm a peon according to some in my office for they are discussing (as we speak) a deal that, if planned accordingly, they will split millions between the two of them. And still I think to myself, is this worth it? As I crank away on models, depriving myself of sleep and socialization with the outside world, the guy right across from me is literally making million dollar deals.
Now, I may seem bitter and unmotivated BUT I feel great. Why, you ask? Because I may not be on the phone right now with some CEO, and I may not have an office with a view right now, but I am content in knowing that there is no free lunch and with a powerful grind, I WILL be there. Where was this man in sitting in front of my cube 20 years ago? Certainly not bald and he definitely didn’t get a gift from his assistant for "bosses day" (yes today is it) back then. He may have had his time to grind and now its his time to shine. I'm not gonna hate on him for that.
We have to pay our dues. It sucks, indeed. Its unfair, true. But this is apart of "the grind". Many of us want to start our own businesses, others want to go on to Harvard and Yale for Bschool. Talkin to a good friend of mind who is extremely unhappy in his current job, wants to quit today and start his business. This sounds good, but if it was that easy, wouldn’t everyone do it? We have to grow, we have to struggle, we have to grind. Without the knowledge necessary and the experience to back it, how can we be successful?
Think of the best. Years and years of work, molded and shaped them into "the greats." Beyonce didn’t wake up with a phenomenal voice and a Coke bottle body. She ran and worked out everyday, singing at the same time to strengthen her voice and have that tight body. She took dance classes and voice lessens, crafting her skills. Another thing to note is that she took risks. Although she worked hard, it didn’t take her FOREVER to make it either. She did what she had to do and came on the seen with Destiny's Child as a teenager, later venturing off to go solo (an additional risk).
We can't grind and keep the grind to ourselves. You can only have so much experience until you become stagnant and get comfortable. Get that experience and learn at a fast pace and calculate your moves. Take what you've learned, venture out and apply your skills. Whatever it is whether its leaving your job to go back to school or venturing out to start another business or even interviewing for a higher position--- it takes time, experience, and knowledge but once you feel you got it, on to these bigger and better things. Once you have the essentials checked off your list, you're ready.
Premature moves equal premature success. Just like a premature baby who 's not yet fully grown and lacks the nourishment that he needs, its very hard for him to get healthy. Not that it cant be done, but his initial weeks/ months on earth are not good. A healthy baby is nourished and ready to grow and once he's ready, he stops crawling and takes the risk to try to walk - lets make our road to success a healthy one in which all moves are calculated and well thought out and we use them to get out there and "walk". Some days will be rough, sometimes you may want to throw in the towel but your grind will one day make you shine. As you gaze on the 50th floor out into the city in your big office with your legs cocked up on your desk, you can think to yourself, "Yup, it was worth it."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment