Monday, January 4, 2010

Personal: Healing


The first element of my process that I feel is most important is Healing. Clearly I'm hurt. It's evident that I am in pain. Although I see no physical bruises or scars, I can feel in my heart that my soul is not healthy and whole as it should be.

Many times we try to cover things up. Like bandaids, we just cover up the wounds but they are still there. Yes, it stops bleeding and yes, it may start to not hurt as much but if we peel that bandaid off, there is a scar under that bandaid. Over time it does heal, however if you dont do anything to it, it stays there forever.

Its funny, I still have a cut in the middle of my forehead from when i got hit in the head with a rock as a child (dont laugh lol) and got stitches. My mom always said "You should put some neosporin on that girl or some cocoa butter so that the scar will go away." but being hardheaded, I never did. Like these childhood scars that need to be fully-healed, we should conceal them with something that will properly heal them as well, otherwise they will be a "scar" there forever. That scar is a constant reminder of what you went through. You may find yourself 20 years from when you 1st were hurt, STILL talking about something twenty years before... or every blue moon thinking about it or... it even bothering you subconsciously, not knowing exactly what it is.

I can honestly say I havent healed from alot of things in my past. I've never gotten over my first love and some of the things he did or has said to me. I haven't gotten over what my college boyfriend did to me...but I do realize now that it's the time for healing. One component that comes with healing is Forgiveness. Forgiveness is that ointment, that cocoa butter, that if applied will help heal your scars. Listening to India Arie, she stresses this concept with one of her songs "Wings of Forgiveness". Forgiveness is truly powerful because once you forgive someone, you can learn to move on and simultaneously start to heal, patching up those wounds which will eventually fade.

I can hear India sing now the words that really are applicable to the Healing Process:
"I release all disappointment
From my mental, physical, spiritual, and emotional bodies
Cause I know that spirit guides me
And love lives inside me
That's why I today I take life as it comes..."

No comments:

Post a Comment